Plan is a template which involves a logical grouping of virtual machines so as to increase the availability of the application in the event of a planned failover and recovery of the application in the event of an unexpected application failure.
To set up a plan
- Launch Veritas AppProtect from the icon.
- Click .
The Plan Configuration wizard appears.
- Specify a unique Plan Name and Description, and then click .
The wizard validates the system details to ensure that all prerequisites are met.
- Select the virtual machines that you want to include in the plan, review the host and operating system details, and then click .
The Unplanned Recovery Settings page appears.
- On the Unplanned Recovery Settings page, you can configure the selected virtual machines for Unplanned Recovery as well.
Deselect the Configure selected VMs for Unplanned Recovery as well check box, if you do not want to include the selected virtual machines for unplanned recovery.
If you have selected the virtual machines for unplanned recovery, then set up the unplanned recovery policies as appropriate from the available options. You can set up policies to restart applications, restart virtual machines, restart virtual machine on target ESX, and restore a virtual machine on target ESX.
If you have selected Restore VM on target ESX as the unplanned recovery policy, then you can set up a schedule to create a boot disk back up copy of the virtual machine within the configured plan. You can set the frequency as daily, weekly, monthly, or manual as per your requirement.
After you have finished making necessary settings for Unplanned Recovery, Click .
- The wizard validates the prerequisite attributes of the virtual machine and the ESX host, and adds the qualified virtual machines to the plan.
Click after the validation process completes.
- In the Disks tab, you can view the selected application data disks. Just In Time Availability solution uses the selected data disks to perform detach-attach operation during a planned failover and unplanned recovery.
If the disks are not auto-marked as selected to perform detach-attach operation, then first refresh the VIOM server and then the VCenter server in VIOM and then create a plan.
- In the Network Configuration tab, specify the network interface configuration details for the cloned virtual machine. Make sure to specify at least one public interface and valid IP details.
- In the Unplanned Recovery Target tab, specify the target ESX server to restore the virtual machine, and the target ESX port details.
The Unplanned Recovery Target tab is visible only when Restart VM on target ESX or Restore VM on target ESX is selected.
- In the Windows Settings tab, specify the domain name, Microsoft Windows product license key, domain user name, domain password, admin password, and time zone index.
The Windows Settings tab is visible only when a Windows virtual machine is selected in the plan.
- Click . The Summary wizard appears.
- In the Summary wizard, review the plan details such as the plan name, unplanned recovery policies, schedule, and so on.
Deselect the Start backup process on finish checkbox if you do not want to initiate a backup process when the plan creation procedure is finished. This checkbox is selected by default.
Click . The plan is created and saved.
- Click to return to the plans tab and view the created plans.
See Managing a plan.
See Deleting a plan.